[Gllug] thin desktops for X-> was Office software

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Fri Nov 16 19:15:23 UTC 2001

* Steve Nicholson <steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com> spake thus:
> > I used fvwm2 (rather than the gnome enviroment) but was
> > bumping along at 120Mb memory usage - slow.
>
> Seeing fvm2 mentioned makes me ask what is the best (read
> fastest/functional) window manager for X when running a low resource
> machine?  I going to be setting up a P133/144MB laptop to take home with
> me, I think gnome will be too slow and I don't really need all the
> extras that come with it.  Have played with sawfish (was sawmill) and
> really like it's minimal screen and multiple work spaces.
>
> Anyone care to share comparisons/experiences with other window managers?

I have only used blackbox with bbkeys for the last year and a half,
although now I have started a Linux Society at my Uni I am being forced
to install "something with icons and shit" so that I can demonstrate to
my Linux-novice friends that you can have icons and slow bloated menues
in Linux too.

Now I have to come up with some theme for the first meeting...

Regards,
Stig

--
brautaset.org