[Gllug] Office software

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 11:35:07 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 09:53, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 10:44, Alain Williams wrote:
>
> > to run it on.
> Star Office and Open Office both kill my laptop - brick/paperweight
> dead.  I am not sure where to start giving bug reports ;-).

Mine too. My laptop has an S3 Savage graphics.
There are known problems with this and Star/Open office

>From the Xfree86 site:

Office hangs on installation.

This is probably my #1 Most Frequently Asked Question... There is a
known conflict between StarOffice 5.2 (and, presumably, OpenOffice as
well) and the Savage driver up to 1.1.19. There is a note in the
StarOffice README about hangs when
using a ViRGE chip, along with a suggested workaround, and the
workaround also applies to the Savage. The workaround is to set an
environment variable "SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50" to "true" before
launching StarOffice. The trickiest part is
making sure StarOffice really sees the variable. If you use xdm/kdm, you
must use one of the global rc files, like /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc, or
/etc/rc.d/rc.local. NOTE, however, that this problem should no longer
occur as of version 1.1.20t.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk