[Gllug] adding multiple IP's to one interface?

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Thu Nov 15 10:54:39 UTC 2001

> # ifconfig eth0:1 x.x.x.x

Great thank you, still can't see in the man page where it says this.

I notice the new IP isn't added to /etc/network/interfaces   (using
Debian).
Can I add this new address to /etc/network/interfaces by including the
following line:

iface eth0:1 inet static
	address x.x.x.x

If this is after the initial line for configuring eth0 will eth0:1 use
the defaults for gateway etc specified by eth0 or should I specify them
explicitly.

thanks
Steve.
P.S. don't use linuxconf anymore had lots of problems with it and
decided it was better I learnt what was happening when changing
something, that was where I originally found aliasing IP's.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk