[Gllug] adding multiple IP's to one interface?

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu Nov 15 11:59:38 UTC 2001

Steve Nicholson(steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com)@Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:54:39AM -0000:
> > # ifconfig eth0:1 x.x.x.x
>
> Great thank you, still can't see in the man page where it says this.
>
> I notice the new IP isn't added to /etc/network/interfaces   (using
> Debian).
> Can I add this new address to /etc/network/interfaces by including the
> following line:
>
> iface eth0:1 inet static
> 	address x.x.x.x

sorry, dont use debian, but i can make an educated guess thats where it
stores its interface info.  so yep, that'll probably make it persistent.

> If this is after the initial line for configuring eth0 will eth0:1 use
> the defaults for gateway etc specified by eth0 or should I specify them
> explicitly.

not unless the aliased interface is on the same subnet as the real
interface.  Oh, and you might want to turn IP forwarding on or off
depending on what it is you want to achieve.

> thanks
> Steve.
> P.S. don't use linuxconf anymore had lots of problems with it and
> decided it was better I learnt what was happening when changing
> something, that was where I originally found aliasing IP's.

hmm, i'm trying to use it less, and in the process e less ignorant about
the mechanisms underneath.  i do find the "Profile" feature quite nice
tho, usefull for laptop's.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk