[Gllug] Hypothetical GPL question

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 09:20:08 UTC 2001

> > If you can demonstrate the ability to open a hex editor and write
> > working machine code, then there is nothing to stop you
> calling the .EXE
> > the source code.
>
> Yes, there is; it is not the `preferred form... for making
> modifications'. Hence, under the GPL, it is not source code.
>
> (Sheesh, does nobody *read* the GPL before commenting on it?)

What if you deliberately wanted to be awkward ;), had a good memory of
the hex representation of machine code (or could refer to a book), and
wrote a small program directly into the hex editor? In that case the hex
editor *would* be the preferred method for making modifications, because
the whole point of the exercise would be to be intentionally
obstreporous (is this the right word?) in writing a program that comes
as close as possible to the boundary condition of the GPL without
actually crossing it.

Of course, you couldn't write a very big program this way
(understatement) and it wouldn't be very useful, really just an
intellectual oddity. But I still claim you could have a GPL program
where the binary *is* the source code.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk