[Gllug] Potential dodgy hard drive? What to do

Peter John Cameron peterca at ukgateway.net
Thu Nov 8 15:30:49 UTC 2001

A month ago, I bought an IBM 75GXP Deskstar 76Gb hard drive specifically for
Suse 7.3. I shopped around on the net to find the cheapest price and amongst
dabs.com, simply.co.uk and insight.com/uk, the cheapest was Simply. I
ordered one for home and a smaller drive for work.

Last night, whilst surfing in a moment of boredom, I came across reports of
the 75GXP 76Gb drives being dodgy, and eventually found myself at
storagereview.com. I checked the three sites above, and now not one of them
is now listing the 75GXP drive.

I mentioned this on the Suse list and was advised to buy a new drive.

So, what should I do? The drive cost me £190. I'm intending to phone Simply
and ask if they have that drive in stock and then ask why they don't sell
it, and then say I bought one a month ago from them.

Any best approach advise?

Peter

PS My uneasiness is informed by the fact that at work, one of the IBM SCSI
drives in our RS6000 suddenly failed. It was 9 months old. IBM doesn't have
a good drive reputation???

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk