[Gllug] slightly OT: laptop advice

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Mon Nov 19 17:01:07 UTC 2001

My old laptop is well and truely dead. Its falling apart, the IDE
controller does strange things, the HDD has died. The keyboard works for
most keys though. The screen doesn't replicate, and the I/R panel has
fallen off.

So I was in sevenoaks doing some tech support work and I got to play with
a new ibook. I think they are very nice. Really clean design, long battery
life (5 hour, supposedly). Small and light...

And then I went and relooked at a bunch of PC laptops.. and I thought big,
clunky, too many extra buttons for CD playing and crap. LCD panels and
LEDs I don't need. Then the SODIMM covers jut out or the battery is a
lump... whereas the mac is nice and clean...

This is excluding some things like VAIOs... but hey

So its my 21st a few days before xmas so if I combine xmas + bday presents
I could get a new laptop - something I can really use. So at the moment I
am thinking an ibook with OSX... I won't be reformatting it... I want a
laptop to actualy USE :-)

Has anybody had long-term usage of them? any good? Any advice on PC
laptops? I have a thing for x86, but I really hate the laptops currently
out there... anybody feel the same/differently?

And anyway - the ibook pulses this cool white light when its sleeping...

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com fractalus.com/steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk