[Gllug] Gates preaches to the NHS converted

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 17:14:08 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Irvine" <co2cool at yahoo.com>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Gates preaches to the NHS converted

> On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 16:15, Christian Smith wrote:
> > On 19 Nov 2001, John Hearns wrote:
> >
> > >I just know that I shouldn't read these things.
> > >I'm now going to lie down in a darkened room with
> > >a towel over my head for an hour.
> > >
> > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22918.html
> >
> > >From the CW article cited in the piece:
> > According to Jenny Duff, public sector industry manager at Microsoft,
the

> aim is "to get chief executives* involved in the implementation of IT and
>
> * read: easily conned, <Insert similar comment here>
>
> very scary indeed.

This is why our sales team sell mostly windows products, they don't
understand what the are selling 99% of the time but they have 'heard' of
windows so they try and sell that more.  We used to sell win2k hosting plans
hidden away on our website and only if people asked for them directly.  We
didn't sell that many.

Now the win2k option is right under the unix option and we sell more win2k
because people have 'heard' of win2k and not linux.  Gates wants managers
involved because they will go with what they are familiar with.

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk