[Gllug] Changing machine's IP address

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 13:54:48 UTC 2001

Pardon my ignorance, but why can't you just use the monitor and
keyboard? I'm assuming this is because its in a rack and you  don't have
a monitor in the rack as well.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:31, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> John Hearns(john.hearns at framestore.co.uk)@Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:01:13PM +0000:
> >
> > Actually, most PC-class machines lack true serial console functionality,
> > such that you cannot get down to the BIOS level, for instance.
> > This is changing though, and some motherboards offer it.
>

> oooo, which ones?  i've been wondering how long it's going to take PC mobo makers to enter the iron age.
When you say true serial console  functionality, what exactly do you
mean by  that? Whats the difference between true serial console and
false serial console modes? What can you achieve in one which you cannot
achieve in the other?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk