[Gllug] Email Formats was Where has the modem gone

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Wed Nov 21 15:08:03 UTC 2001

I have to agree with David here. I spent 8 months reading almost unreadable
email while on the OU's First Class conference/mail system (First Class was
the name of it). Individuals where colouring text in about several different
colours per email like yellow on white just because they can. I tried to
tell them that this was silly and that one word replies where a complete
waste of everyone's time they gave me the old free speech bit and that they
could do what they want blah blah and this was on what was meant to be a
technical list where content is paramount. The best information on the world
could be displayed in forty different colours splashed all over a page and I
would not read it as my eyes cannot quite grasp what on earth is going on.
HTML is not for email, I am not saying that anyone said that it is and a
decent mail format would be nice for business but please not HTML.

On another topic have you ever gone to a supposedly professional website and
as soon as it is up you can literally feel your eyes adjusting to the crazy
colour scheme. Do designers look at the sites they create or are they busy
admiring the reflection between the monitor and there Oakleys. I know they
wear Oakleys, it's the only pair of shades that will protect them from their
own nuclear colour scheme.

Sometimes I go out for fresh air and when I am online I go to google for a
glimpse of neat design.

Regards,
Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk