[Gllug] Email Formats was Where has the modem gone

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Wed Nov 21 17:54:33 UTC 2001

Hi all,

> I have to agree with David here. I spent 8 months reading almost
> unreadable
> email while on the OU's First Class conference/mail system (First Class
> was
> the name of it). Individuals where colouring text in about several
> different
> colours per email like yellow on white just because they can. I tried to
> tell them that this was silly and that one word replies where a complete
> waste of everyone's time they gave me the old free speech bit and that
> they
> could do what they want blah blah and this was on what was meant to be a
> technical list where content is paramount. The best information on the
> world could be displayed in forty different colours splashed all over a
> page and I would not read it as my eyes cannot quite grasp what on earth
> is going on.

I would say that these people were stupid and will probably work in NTL
call centres.

> HTML is not for email, I am not saying that anyone said that it is and a
> decent mail format would be nice for business but please not HTML.

On certain levels HTML is for emails but not on a technical discussion
lists.  We design and send out tens of thousands of emails a week on
behalf of our clients to their customers.  both of which would be
extremely upset to if we used plain text over HTML, Javascript, Flash and
Shockwave.

> On another topic have you ever gone to a supposedly professional website
> and
> as soon as it is up you can literally feel your eyes adjusting to the
> crazy
> colour scheme. Do designers look at the sites they create or are they busy
> admiring the reflection between the monitor and there Oakleys. I know they
> wear Oakleys, it's the only pair of shades that will protect them from
> their
> own nuclear colour scheme.

I completely agree with you I like clean lines and little clutter as a
personal aesthetic but again there is a place for nuclear colour schemes.
again for our clients we design very colourful websites for our client
that personally I don't like and have told our designers so (there is a
reason I don't take part in too many brain storms here) but they aren't
aimed at balding 30 something sys admins running to fat but 16-24 year old
fashion victims who badly need the feeling of superiority that comes with
the latest style.  Anyone one with a dual Athlon mainboard should be able
to sympathise.  We also do some less well know really subtle stuff that I
really like but even so I will never have an uncontrollable urge to buy £5
0K of corporate consultancy.

It is entirely phenomenological but I actually find some geek sites
cluttered, ugly and initialy confusing, Slashdot is one and the PHP nuke
home page another.

> Sometimes I go out for fresh air and when I am online I go to google for
> glimpse of neat design.

Google rocks! but the sponsor links have started to spoil it.

> Regards,
> Harry

Peace Jim

"Why use a JPEG for the listings instead of text?
Because I want precise control over the layout. And because it seriously
annoys "real ale" Internet users who do all their browsing on text-based
hand-held calculators, and that arouses me."
--TV Go home FAQ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk