Distro version numbers - Was:; Re: [Gllug] RH 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade problems

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 12:12:03 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:43:02AM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> I'm thinking that without funding (and hence deadlines, budgets, etc.) the
> software might be better thought out and end up being a better product.
> Also, traditionally, free software is generally written by experts in their
> field, whereas non-free software is often written by any bod who happened to
> apply for that job.

Yes: that means that we end up with very good software that does things that
certain groups of people want. The problem is *what* are these things ?
So we have good server type applications & tools.
These things will be installed by hand by the programmer, so what we don't
have are good installation s/ware: this is a big thing that the distros
have done -- good installation.

Also: lots of people do things, but each to their own style; this makes it
difficult to use (lots of different interfaces to learn), the distros have
helped here - but maybe not as much as they could have.

The other stuff is the s/ware that no one wants to do 'cos it isn't fun.
For this we need funding.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>