[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Nov 15 13:11:39 UTC 2001

>One of the requirements for multiple IPs per machine at present is SSL.
>Apache does not at present support Virtual hosting for SSL by name, only
>by IP address.  Though I do not know if there are any plans to change
>this in the near future.

No, this isn't actually possible. Virtual hosting by name relies on the
web server being able to parse the HTTP header to determine which name
was used to access the site. With SSL, there's no way of doing that (the
SSL connection has to be in place before the HTTP header is sent), so
you have to have IP based virtual hosting.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk