[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 12:46:26 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 23:30, David Damerell wrote:

> IPv6 also has a class of single per-machine addresses that are sent to
> the most convenient interface, so that might get rid of multiple IP
> addresses per machine. NAT has _perceived_ security benefits, so not
> much chance of killing that.

You seem to suggest here that you would prefer not to have multiple IP
addresses per machine.  (Though I might be reading it incorrectly)

One of the requirements for multiple IPs per machine at present is SSL.
Apache does not at present support Virtual hosting for SSL by name, only
by IP address.  Though I do not know if there are any plans to change
this in the near future.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk