Distro version numbers - Was:; Re: [Gllug] RH 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade problems

jim jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 20:36:25 UTC 2001

On 21 Nov 2001, Chris Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 13:15, Colin Murphy wrote:
> > Why do the version numbers seem to jump in this way?
>
> "I'm using Linux 7.2[1]".
> "Well, I'm using Linux 8[2].  You should upgrade."

I remember Patrick Volkerding being very up-front about this, saying
something along the lines of "I have deliberately and artificially bumped
Slackware from version 4 to version 7 because I'm sick of people saying
"Why do you only use version 4 of Linux when Red Hat are up to version 6?
You must be really behind." ". It's a sad world we live in ...

Cheers, jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
"... I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk