[Gllug] Office software -> c/c++ debate

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 21:36:46 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 14:17, Russell Mackenzie wrote:
> As an asp and vb developer (who wishes he could work with php and python
> instead) with minimal c/c++ skills, how the hell am I supposed to decide
> which I should learn? I've read numerous 'debates' discussing the pros/cons
> of c/c++, these usually get too technical, and I'm no closer to deciding...
> help?

You should learn C. I believe even Bjarne Stroustrup said that C++ was
aimed at experienced C programmers with a good understanding of the
language. Even should you never write code in C, and go stright on to
C++, I think it makes sense to start in C.

Also bear in mind that if you wish to contribute to open source
projects, there's a hell of a lot more C than C++ out there.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk