[Gllug] thin desktops for X ... flwm http://blackbox.alug.org/

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Mon Nov 19 23:23:32 UTC 2001

* Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> spake thus:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Steve Nicholson said:
> > "Blackbox is an original window manager, sharing no code with any
> > others.
>
> They reimplemented Xlib?!?!
>
> > compliant, and supports multiple desktops and some support for KDE
> > (but none for GNOME).
>
> Which is strange; the wm hints are very similar for KDE versus GNOME,
> and it takes very little code to handle them (fvwm's GNOME support
> comes to 8Kb of object code... but fvwm doesn't support KDE yet,
> whoops.)
>
> Maybe blackbox simply can't do some of the things that the wm hints
> require, so it's skipped out on all the hint support? (Bit of a
> cop-out, if that's the reason. But it may be as simple as `blackbox's
> author doesn't use GNOME and nobody's contributed code yet'; I dunno.)

No, it's documented. AFAIR from talking to Brad Hughes (the initiator of
bb) the GNOME hints are left out because of bad design by the GNOME
people. (It's worth noticing that Brad works for Troll Tech. ...)

This might have changed now, as it is some time since I talked to him,
and I think it's Jeff Raven that maintains bb now...

Regards,
Stig

--
brautaset.org