[Gllug] thin desktops for X ... flwm http://blackbox.alug.org/

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 21:38:28 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Steve Nicholson said:
> "Blackbox is an original window manager, sharing no code with any
> others.

They reimplemented Xlib?!?!

> compliant, and supports multiple desktops and some support for KDE (but
> none for GNOME).

Which is strange; the wm hints are very similar for KDE versus GNOME,
and it takes very little code to handle them (fvwm's GNOME support comes
to 8Kb of object code... but fvwm doesn't support KDE yet, whoops.)

Maybe blackbox simply can't do some of the things that the wm hints
require, so it's skipped out on all the hint support? (Bit of a cop-out,
if that's the reason. But it may be as simple as `blackbox's author
doesn't use GNOME and nobody's contributed code yet'; I dunno.)

--
`Many people have tried whispering in his ear, and indeed bellowing
 with megaphones but up to now he's seemed to be completely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk