[Gllug] Idea for meeting

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Nov 7 16:27:43 UTC 2001

>I once looked at proprietary software from Novadigm, which is similar
>to rsync, but, of course, expensive and non-open

Yes, but I think you're understating it. It's *really* expensive.

When I was looking at it, we were quoted #1.5m for the system
(resold in the UK by Amdahl as A+EDM). Not only that, but it didn't
work anywhere near as well as rdist (at the time rsync was barely a
glint in Tridge's eye). You had to create packages of the software
you wanted to distribute in advance. No concept of "duplicate this
tree over there". We scripted around that, but performance sucked,
and we stuck with rdist. Oh, and Novadigm claim to have patented
diff...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk