[Gllug] More Microsoft FUD

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Nov 7 17:28:07 UTC 2001

On Wed 07 Nov, Simon Stewart made the following spurious claims:

> I'm sure that there are some drivers for MS(R) kit that only have a
> small team (say a half dozen people) working on, and as for the
> specious claim about "likely not supported", can I please install my
> old ISA graphics card using the driver for 3.1 on XP?

Microsoft has a policy: one developer, one tester.  The reason they
need so many testers is they refuse to implement a policy of code
reviews because it slows them down.

So any MS developed device drivers would probably be well tested.  In
lab test conditions.  Any popular device driver used under Linux would
be tested in a LOT of different situations.  What's more, the results
of such testing are as close as your nearest search engine.

And if you have a piece of kit where the manufacturer has discontinued
support, what do you do when you don't have source?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk