[Gllug] Re: motherboards with "real" serial consoles (was Re: [Gllug] Changing machine's IP address)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Nov 5 09:14:24 UTC 2001

>For serious console users I'd recommend taking a look at Digi's
>realport boxes to share serial lines to networks.

Thanks for the tip -- I may well look into it. I'm mostly happy with
our Cisco AS2511 Access Servers, but they have a couple of serious
flaws. One is that occasionally they'll get consfused, and refuse
to give you access to a given line. This can be easily fixed with a
"clear line" command, but it needs to be in enable mode to do it.

Secondly (and more importantly, from my point of view) is that when
a Sun server is taken down to a LOM prompt, the Cisco stops talking
to it completely, so someone has to physically go to the box to power
cycle it. If anyone can point me in the direction of finding out
why this is happening, or what I can do to fix it, I'd be eternally
grateful.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk