[Gllug] Re: motherboards with "real" serial consoles (was Re: [Gllug] Changing machine's IP address)

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Fri Nov 2 16:46:51 UTC 2001

On 2 Nov 2001, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 15:12, Andy Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:11:57PM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >
> > > Newer Intel server motherboard support serial consoles:
> > >
> > > 	http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/buildingblocks/boards.htm
> >

> I've just had it confirmed that at least some Supermicro server
> motherboards  have this capacity.
>
> If anyone is interested in using a multi-port serial card to
> run consoles to lots of servers in a rack or server room,
> Streamline Computing can supply Cyclades cards.
>
> We run Cyclades here, and they run fine under Linux.

the newer dell rack servers do serial output as well, very useful for
skipping gigabytes of memory checks.

For serious console users I'd recommend taking a look at Digi's realport
boxes to share serial lines to networks. I like having perminant console logs
& shared connections so I reshare those ports though the wonderful conserver
software (www.conserver.com)

Dell w/serial console <cat5> portserver <tcp> conserver <tcp> clients
yes...I know...I have a serial problem....

Oh and FYI, the PCI pc weasel cards are shipping this month ! :)

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk