No Keyboard = No Boot (was: Re: [Gllug] Changing machine's IP address)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 00:03:07 UTC 2001

On Sun 04 Nov, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:

> > Take care that you turn off the power to your monitor before
> > plugging/unplugging. I have toasted a monitor this way, plugged it in
> > with the power on and it must have loaded or sent a spike to the drivers
> > and lost red (permanently).
> >
> really !
>
> I do this pretty regularly with no problem ...
>
> if I am doing something like setting up a machine as a firewall I will
> switch the monitor between this and my workstation ... isn't tis what
> KVM switches do - but without the hassle?

   It should not do any harm as long as both are correctly earthed
(grounded) to the same point, normally via the mains earths. KVM switches
and cables would probably supply some sort of earth connection. The computer
output and monitor input chips are most likely to suffer, but I have seen
all the copper tracks around the interfaces burnt out after a youngster had
started playing with the monitor mains plug in the wall socket.

   Have a look in the BIOS setup for ways of changing the action on keyboard
errors.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk