[Gllug] Getting ISPs to change DNS entries

Andy McGarty andy at mcGarty.net
Thu Nov 15 14:20:06 UTC 2001

>We have a domain name from Freeola/getdotted.com who register it for you
>and also give free web space.
>
>Now we need it transferred to our new IP address at a new ISP - I assume
>this is up to freeola to make the necessary changes in some Top Level
>Domain nameserver, so that when someone wants to resolve the name, they
>get referred to our new ISP's nameserver.

>The trouble is, Freeola were contacted about two weeks ago and the name
>is still pointing to the old IP address. Is this because:
>a) this is the usual time these things take
>b) there's something else we need to do at our end before Freeola can
>make the change.
>c) because we're leaving them, they have no incentive to be helpful.
>d) it's not up to Freeola to make the changes, we need to contact
>someone else?

>if a) or c) what's the best way to speed things up? Bombard them with
>emails/phones calls?
>
>--
>Paul Brazier
>Cosmos UK

I'd guess its a mixture of mainly c) and some b) but you don't know the b)
part till you start to hassle them.  In the past I've normally found it
takes two to three weeks of hassling an ISP to get them to move a domain
name.  I'd suggest sending them a reminder e-mail and then phone tomorrow.
Good luck and keep hassling them.  And they normally want it faxed on
company letterhead as well (as if that wouldn't be just as esy to forge as
an e-mail!!!).

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk