[Gllug] bash startup

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 18:42:28 UTC 2001

> [01-Nov-2001 17:10.58 (GMT) / SteveC]
>
>  > Having installed the bash package for FreeBSD I put /usr/local/bin/bash
>  > for my shell in the passwd entry, and /usr/local/bin/bash also appears
>  > in /etc/shells but bash never comes up, I get sh instead. bash is
>  > runnable from sh.
>
> /me mumbles something about this being a *linux* user group... <g>
>
> On BSDen you should be using vipw, you know. So if you've just done 'vi
> /etc/passwd', you'll get no bag of bananas and no free cuddly toy. It
> updates the necessary databases after you've finished editing it.

what he means is that /etc/passwd is NOT the password file its
/etc/master.passwd or something which should be edited by using vipw command,
then changing the entry in that file.
make a symbolic link   > ln -sf /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash
then add /bin/bash in /etc/shells
then  > vipw (change shell to /bin/bash)
logout and login again.
Thats how it works on OpenBSD anyway and I think FreeBSD is much the same.

--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk