Distro version numbers - Was:; Re: [Gllug] RH 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade problems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 10:43:44 UTC 2001

> > Why do the version numbers seem to jump in this way?
>
> My guess is that if one of the 'unwashed masses' (For want of a better
> phrase.) is looking at three or more distributions of Linux
> and he sees
> 7.1, 7.3 and 8.1 he'll be more inclined to pick up the one
> with the higher
> version number. I guess its a sales thing.

I've noticed this as well with magazines - Linux Format had its December
issue out here before Linux Magazine even had its November issue out.
This was at the beginning of November mind you.

I guess people think: "Wow the December issue must be much more
up-to-date so I'll get that one instead of the other".

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk