[Gllug] Broad Band Access

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 5 17:24:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 05:12:10PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 16:50, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > It states you can't use the frequancy by way of a business, which

> Let's say someone sets up a development of houses for
> telecommuting.

[..using wireless..]

> I can't beleive that the Government, with all its much trumpeted
> initiatives on Broadband Britain, and telecommuting, would really
> intend its regulations to stand in the way of such a thing.

Well there is some debate over this.  Such a feature would make the
developer's property more attractive.  It would add value to their
product.  The developer could charge more for the property.  You
would argue that wasn't use of the frequency "by way of business" ?

By this logic, use of this wireless frequency in coffee shops,
airports, book stores, etc., would all be fair game; that is
obviously not the case in the real world.

Anyone thinking of doing such a thing should, IMHO, seek real legal
advice and not just go by what any of us non-lawyers say on
mailing lists.

Incidentally I do recall a recent article on slashdot about a
scandinavian community who contracted in people to build their own
community broadband cable network, financed by means of each member
adding onto the mortgage on their properties.  Aside from the large
initial layout, they achieved far more bandwidth at a cheaper price
than the one you quote.