[Gllug] Email Formats

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 10:53:51 UTC 2001

> > Though I would argue that the distinction between physical and
> > logical isn't so clear-cut in this case.
> > Bold is used to emphasise text to indicate its importance. Although
> > conventionally a thickening of the letters is used, you could use
> > some other way of making <b> stand out which would still convey a
> > similar logical meaning. Maybe you could think of <b> to mean "to
> > be spoken boldly" of which "bold" text is one particular physical
> > interpretation.
> >
> > Do html speakers for the blind emphasise text in <b> </b> markup in
> > some way?
>
> I don't wish to be rude, but its just this sort of circular rambling
> that has put companies like Microsoft so far ahead of everyone else.
> You have a choice. Live with your choices. If you choose to use a
> console email client and gripe about all the html then that is YOUR
> choice. The other 98% of email users are using e-mail clients that
> render html email in a readable way and that is their choice.
> Majority rules. Perhaps we should still be sending email using mail
> and reading it in elm or something. Perhaps not. HTML mail isn't
> going to go away. That is a certainty.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear enough - I think I'm actually
agreeing with you :)

The point being: Why complain about the use of <em> or <strong> tags in
emails when you use *asterisks* or _underscores_ in a logically
identical way?

Though to be fair I think the odd <em> isn't going to bother anyone -
it's the reams of redundant font, colour etc. tags that are
auto-generated by some email clients. Maybe email clients should be able
to cope with html in a better way, but there's still the bandwidth
argument. Still, at least it's better than the people who send a massive
Word attachment just for a two line note.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk