[Gllug] badblocks

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Nov 14 12:10:04 UTC 2001

Dave Cridland(dave at cridland.net)@Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:11:35PM +0000:
> On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 14:26, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> >
> > I have some bad blocks on a reiserfs partition on a metadisk strip set,
> > it appears to only be two blocks on one disk.  my question is, how can i
> > nuke them blocks so they dont get used again?
>
> There's something in the ReiserFS FAQ about it.
>
> However, I suspect that the best solution is:
>
> 1) Backup.
> 2) Reformat partition with stable filesystem (Ext[23]).
> 3) Restore.

i did that last time, except i put reiser back on it, hoping it was a
transient bug (hw/sw) that'd dissapear after i gave the disk a good kick
to dislodge the smoke particles that were clogging up the mechanism.

i've been considering reformatting, but it's just a little tricky and
slow jugling 30gig arround.  hmm, looks like i'll have to.

i might try out xfs this time tho.

> But then, I don't trust ReiserFS. :-)

hmmm, i'm reaching a similar conclusion, but i dont want to blame the
s/w when it might just be a bad IBM disk.  the last time reiser fscked
up, i had one file that could not be deleted of the FS, and during
kernel boot failure to rm the file caused a panic.   that i blame on
reiserfs.

cheers,
-vince

--