[Gllug] badblocks

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Nov 14 12:27:20 UTC 2001

Vincent AE Scott(gllug at codex.net)@Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:10:04PM +0000:
> Dave Cridland(dave at cridland.net)@Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:11:35PM +0000:
> > On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 14:26, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > >
> > > I have some bad blocks on a reiserfs partition on a metadisk strip set,
> > > it appears to only be two blocks on one disk.  my question is, how can i
> > > nuke them blocks so they dont get used again?
> >
> > There's something in the ReiserFS FAQ about it.
> >
> > However, I suspect that the best solution is:
> >
> > 1) Backup.
> > 2) Reformat partition with stable filesystem (Ext[23]).
> > 3) Restore.
>
> i did that last time, except i put reiser back on it, hoping it was a
> transient bug (hw/sw) that'd dissapear after i gave the disk a good kick
> to dislodge the smoke particles that were clogging up the mechanism.
>
> i've been considering reformatting, but it's just a little tricky and
> slow jugling 30gig arround.  hmm, looks like i'll have to.
>
> i might try out xfs this time tho.

bad form, answering ones own emails:

gawd, i've just made a massive discovery for my poor little brain, the
piece of fscking sh17 hard drive is an IBM DTLA-xxxxxxx.  i have a nasty
feeling i'm going to have to ditch those drives, and get something else.

a quick search on google revealed a thread on lkml about such drives,
and then the penny dropped, i think Jim mentioned the link on the
register about the class action suit againt big blue.  didnt twig when i
first heard it, now i think i'm in that same can of worms as the rest of
the plaintiffs.

after this experience, i'm never going to hold IBM's drive technology in
such high esteem.  Think i might have to order a seagate drive next
time, IBM's reputation has been too seriously destroyed for me.  They've
gone from top dog, to p13c3 of cr4p.

grrr,
time to calm down.

--