[Gllug] installing LINUX via PCMCIA to a laptop

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 23:37:35 UTC 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 03:32:23PM +0000, George F Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>  well it had to happen I decided to install LInux to my ancient laptop.
> Problem is as far as I can see is to get the laptop to see the PCMCIA cdrom &
> install from there.
Never tried that - might need to build a custom kernel with PCMCIA cdrom
nailed in -- so that is chicken & egg unless you have another Linux box to
build it on.
>  OR
> see the PCMCIA netcard and install via http / ftp
Dead easy with RedHat - there are 3 floppy images with different kernels,
one is for PCMCIA boxen and has lots of PCMCIA network cards configured.

> 	Since I am completely clueless as to how I go about either type of install
> some pointer would be nice
Once you have created a boot floppy with the correct kernel: boot it and
tell it what the network config is (ie IP addr), tell it what M/C has the
contents of the cdrom copied to hard disk & where that is, & off you go.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk