[Gllug] Basic Linux Test

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 9 16:00:29 UTC 2001

On Friday, 9 Nov 2001, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>>Question 23: 'kill -HUP' does not guarantee a kill of a process stuck
>>on I/O.
>Neither does "kill -9" (their answer).

Er, yes. I meant 'kill -9 does not ...' - my fault for c&ping from a
friend's IRC comments.

>You missed out a few more, too:
>Question 15: Many winmodems now work with Linux

I don't think that's an error; winmodems should still be avoided. For
one thing, the kernel types won't touch you with non-free drivers loaded.

>Question 24: Entirely dependent on the contents of /etc/inittab

I think it's not unreasonable for questions to relate only to
reasonably conventional configurations - for instance, one wouldn't
say that the question "What command would you use to remove files?"
can't be answered "rm" because "rm" might be aliased to "tar -cvzf
i_am_a_loony.tar". Which it might.

I've not seen a distro configuration where 6 isn't reboot.

>ObNitpicking for question 1:
>Quite subtle, but in most cases, you don't need the (ro). Although a
>CD-RW is a writable device, it's generally not mounted as a read write
>filesystem.

I wouldn't criticise a belt-and-braces approach here of getting the
/etc/exports entry right regardless of what one thinks the drive will
do.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk