[Gllug] Badtrans.b worm

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Nov 29 13:12:47 UTC 2001

On 11/28/01, 8:18:39 PM, Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote regarding
Re: [Gllug] Badtrans.b worm:

> The other thing is to use a virus scanning package. At work, I use
> MessageLabs, which is exceptionally good and (given we run Outlook)
> worth every penny.

I have Postfix divert our mail through McAfee SMTP Proxy, which is a crap
smtp server but a decent virus scanner.  A lot cheaper than MimeSweeper
or similar, though.

If you want to protect your windows destops from unsave downloads as
well, viralator is very good (http://viralator.loddington.com/).  You use
it in combination with a proxy server and url-redirector (they recommend
Squid and Squirm, I use Squid and Jesred).  It diverts downloads of any
type you specify onto a local webserver and runs a virus scanner before
handing the file to the user.

There's a bug in the latest version, though.  I have a diff which fixes
it.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk