[Gllug] Broad Band Access

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 17:12:10 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 16:50, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:27:49PM +0000, David Irvine wrote:
>
> > 1.  What is the law  about using wireless lan cards commercially.
>
> You can't with 802.11b or bluetooth (ie 2.4GHz):
>
> http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990930.htm
> http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001012.htm
>
> It states you can't use the frequancy by way of a business, which

What Paul says is of course true.

But I'd like to explore this a little further.

Let's say someone sets up a development of houses for
telecommuting.
Let's say these are based in a collection of old farm buildings,
or a row of worker's cottages. Or something.
So let's say the developer wants to offer wireless access to all
the telecommuters - so they can roam around with laptops,
and do their work whilst sitting out in the sun, or looking after
their babies, or whatever.
I can't beleive that the Government, with all its much trumpeted
initiatives on Broadband Britain, and telecommuting, would really
intend its regulations to stand in the way of such a thing.

Just thinking out loud - as I normally do.
I wonder if we should contact Radio Communications Agency or something
to get this clarified?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk