[Gllug] Underclocking an Athlon

Nick Hill nickhill at email.com
Tue Oct 2 14:16:12 UTC 2001

> > I would be pretty surprised if my processor fan fell off even if I threw my > > machine out of my upstairs window.

> I think the heatsink falling off is a complete improbability, but the fan
> failing is a distinct possibility.

I agree completely. I used the term fan (perhaps wrongly) interchangeably with heatsink/fan.

> Now I think a test of Athlons with heatsinks but no fan would be a better
> indicator of how likely they are to survive a fan failure.

Absolutely.

Fan failure is common.

As an aside, (all?) athlon motherboards have circuitry to shut down the CPU if the fan stops spinning.

I have a cheap 663AS mainboard. It has CPU over temperature and fan fail shutdown. The CPU over temperature sensor is mounted under the CPU. I am sure it will react in plenty of time in the event of fan failure.

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk