[Gllug] Strange Attractor Talk

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Oct 2 14:38:29 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 14:09, you wrote:
> Emmm... time for some fighting talk.
> If you are interested in the project, and are interested in these issues,
> then why not join in?

:) I guess because it looks like a pie-in-the-sky club.

> Join the consume list, and the consume legal list.

I have read through the archives in the past. I don't remember anything at
all practical going on. There seemed to be a lot of talk about how it should
work, etc., but no concrete evidence of anything that could be strung
together. consume-legal seemed very quiet, and touched on issues such as
spectrum a little, but people seemed more interested in generating AUPs
rather than addressing key issues (ie.: is consume legal in the first
place??).

Even a brief look through I had just now, consume-routing was hilarious. The
rejection of private addressing, the lack of any firm idea of how such a
system might route without a mother-of-all routing table. The standardisation
on ipv6 immediately makes consume impractical for anyone except hardcore
geeks (I have too many devices which talk ipv4 for that to be practical, and
I expect any 802.11 gear I get - iPaqs spring to mind - may not even support
it even if I wished to use it).

Perhaps I'm being overly sceptical, but it does seem to be a drop-out zone
for Unix admins wanting to set up some private empire using expensive
equipment, uncommon protocols and hideous OSes., longing for the good old
days of punch-cards and mainframes.

Flames welcome :)

(and probably deserved)

Cheers,