[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 00:22:21 UTC 2001

Andy Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:56:15AM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
>
> > I know proxies don't get a good rap, and I know geeks would prefer to not
> > have them.
>
> When we geeks have no bandwidth because all the links are fully
> utilised due to everyone else's http traffic, I think vocal geeks
> might change their tune :)

The majority of the transatlantic fiber is stil not lit, AFAIK.
Bandwidth is not in short supply on the backbones - just at the edges,
and that's probably more down to price fixing than anything else.

> - all reputable ISPs who do not force use of a transparent web
>   proxy.
> - ISPs with known proxy problems (this would have to be kept updated
>   so that companies could redeem themselves)
> - Some form of stats?
>
> Then the small percentage of customers who *do* care can easily find
> an ISP that is compatible with their needs.

Yup - as long as real choice exists, even if the non-proxied service is
more expensive, then the situation is OK.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk