[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Oct 18 00:19:30 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 09:37:01AM +0100, Jake Jellinek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think someone (preferably someone who has a little more time than I do,
> although I would be interested in helping or perhaps even sponsoring it)
> should start up a Proxy Awareness Campaign.

been done  ...

http://vancouver-webpages.com/CacheNow/

> As a web hosting company we have nightmares supporting our customers
> because of broken proxies. The transparent ones are the worst of course.
> The issues are varied, including yesterday many of our customers using BT
> telling us they were seeing versions of their sites 6 months old appearing
> in their browsers. (No doubt some sort of dodgy backup restore gone wrong
> on the BT proxy).

I find the best way to convince people if a proxy is cauising problems
is to get them to add some junk to the query string - this makes the
page look new and it will be retrieved correctly (almost always)

you can do this best when emailing a client www.yoursite.com?new=1

transparent proxies can often be made untransparent by telling the
browser about them - of course you have to know about proxies to do
this.

basically I'm a fan of proxies, I run my own and feed that from my
isp's - this way I get a fast connection (and filter out junk)

I don't like transparent proxies but I can see why people do it.

--

Sean