[Gllug] RH 7.2 /dev/cdrom not a valid block dev

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 12:40:58 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 13:11, I wrote:
> > At 11:37 24/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
> > >Any idea what could be the problem!!!  /dev/cdrom  definitely exist on
> > >/dev  dir !!!
> >
> > /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink to the real device that your cdrom is on.
> > In the case of IDE this is probably one of:
> > /dev/hd*.  e.g. My cdrom is the slave device on the second IDE controller
> > and therefore /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd.  Check that this link is set up ok
> > after your upgrade.
>
> Actually, I have the same problem with Mandrake 8.1 upgrading over 8.0
> /dev/cdrom is supposed to point to the new devfs device (I assume RH7.2 is
> now using devfs) but it seems to be broken. Its a pain but if you change
> /etc/fstab entry for the cdrom from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdd or whatever it
> is then it works.
> Haven't figured out devfs yet.
UPDATE
It turns out after a bit of messing that my IDE cdrom /dev/hdd is actually
/dev/cdroms/cdrom8  in devfs
if you look in /dev/cdroms/ there may be a number of cdrom devices listed,
one of which should be your actual cdrom (btw is it a scsi cdrom or ide)
try mounting each one until it works. Or put a music cd in and try
blah># cdplay -c /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 etc until it plays properly.
And my SCSI cd writer (SCSI id 2) is /dev/cdroms/cdrom3 by the same method.
Hope this helps. Anyone else know much about devfs?
--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk, http://www.pauken.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk