[Gllug] [Q] Digital Camera Recomendations

Steve Goodwin SteveG at bitscorp.com
Fri Oct 19 10:48:36 UTC 2001

> > Moral of the story: buy one that has an ordinary viewfinder
> and turns
> > the LCD on only when you want it to, like after the shot has been
> > taken.  Recent (as in last few years) Kodak models are excellent for
> > this.

I'd definately concur with that.

> I got a fairly cheap camera from morgan computers (£100 ish
> serial not usb)
>
> I think it's a minolta dc10 ?
>
> its OK - my main gripe is that there is a delay of a few
> seconds bettwen me
> pressing the button and the picture being taken :-(

Are you sure that's what it is?? I get a delay on mine, but the picture is
'taken' as soon as you press the button. It then takes a couple of seconds
to compress the image onto the media card. I also have to be wary; mine has
automatic exposure which has caused me to blur images having not realised.
Make sures there's some indication of this where you can see it when
photographing something (mine has a flashing light by the viewfinder).

IMHO, the most important part of the equation is colour balancing (more so
than resolution) which you can only _really_ find out by experimenting. If
you're after a family snaps type of camera then mine (Digimax 600) is
useless :( because all flesh tones get washed out because CCD can't tell the
diference. Using it on buildings and nature scenes are fine, however. (and
only cost £80!)

At work we have a Nikon CoolPix 990 which I like. Not sure on the price (may
be £350+) but it's images are crisp, with good colour balance. Could not say
whats it's USB/Linux setup is like, though.

Also, be wary of small compact cameras. Especially if it's square! They are
quite difficult to hold at right angles to the floor, and you usually end up
with a finger over the lens.

Steev

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by
anyone else is unauthorised. Please immediately notify the sender if you are
not the intended recipient and have received this mail.
necessarily represent those of Bits Corp plc or any of its affiliates.

Bits Corp plc
112 Cricklewood Lane
London NW2 2DP
Tel. +44 (0)20 8282 7200