[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 5 09:47:55 UTC 2001

On 10/5/01, 10:12:22 AM, Peter Chauncy <Peter.Chauncy at PoplarHarca.co.uk>
wrote regarding [Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls:

> I am looking for a firewall to sit between a  2Mbit leased line and a
> network of about 80 odd PCs.  I just discovered Smoothwall
> http://www.smoothwall.org from a search on Google and it seems really
> interesting.  Does anyone have any experience with it, and resultant
> opinions ?  What are the alternatives ? From my reading of the
> documentation, smoothwall's big advantage over alternatives is its ease
of
> use.

Smoothwall has caused a lot of excitement on uk.comp.os.linux.  Not
because of the quality of the product - serious doubts have been raised
about its security - but because of the antics of the development team.
The lead developer is mentally unstable and childishly abusive.  They
recently tried to mess with the license in a way that would have broken
the GPL and violated the license terms of much of the open source code it
is based on.  They refused for some time to release the code of the
latest version - in violation of the GPL.  When challenged on these
violations they lied, on Usenet and on their website.  The support
community is craven and passive because of the behaviour of Richard
Morrell (the above-mentioned nutter), who is apt to shout, scream and ban
people at random.  The rest of the development team are more normal but
persist in a) denying any violation of the GPL b) pretending that Richard
Morrell is a sane and reasonable human being and c) insisting that black
is white if the alternative is a bollocking from Richard.

Whatever the actual quality of the code (something which their behaviour
has made difficult to assess), the quality of the support (and support
community) is a vital component of an open source product like
Smoothwall.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk