[Gllug] unable to lock file

Ben Harwood benguin at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 19:34:52 UTC 2001

Hi,

I was attempting to add a user on my Debian system and i kept getting the message "useradd: unable to lock password file" then i kept getting bad block errors so i rebooted and ran fsck and i seem to have fixed the bad blocks problem. However now I cannot logon to my box. Everytime i type the login name it just says "Password incorrect" 5 times before timing out. So i've logged in as root in single user-mode and i'm wondering what I need to do, perhaps with my /etc/passwd file ?

TIA

--
Ben Harwood
benguin at blueyonder.co.uk