[Gllug] The BBC and Microsoft.

Steve Goodwin SteveG at bitscorp.com
Mon Oct 29 19:05:59 UTC 2001

> Does anyone know if a Linux (-like) system could be coaxed
> into running on
> one of the BBC micros (or any 6502-based) board?

The closest I can remember was the 'Econet' system. It required a ROM chip
(usually 32K, IIRC) with program code, that allowed connection a common file
server on Winchester discs. It had a heirachical file system, user
authentication, a root user (called system), and talk/message system.
Probably more akin to NFS than Linux as a whole, though, since all
processing was done on the individual machine.

As for coaxing it onto the machine - I wouldn't like to try it, whereas
writing a minature version of a Linux-_like_ OS would work, but be _very_
slow. You'd have to store the PC for each task, then copy the instruction
and execute it (unless it's a jump, in which case you'd emulate it), push
all the registers & stack pointers back to your own memory area and then
task switch! (there'd also be no supervisor mode on the chip, or memory
manager making security a problem). [I wrote something for the Dragon -
remember that!? - that mimicked the file sys in memory, and allowed multiple
tasks. On a 32K machine, it could support nearly 5K of user programs!! :)]

Finally, a humanistic point: since there's no network (as standard) on
either machine, you'd need a much larger keyboard :)

Steev

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it by
anyone else is unauthorised. Please immediately notify the sender if you are
not the intended recipient and have received this mail.
necessarily represent those of Bits Corp plc or any of its affiliates.

Bits Corp plc
112 Cricklewood Lane
London NW2 2DP
Tel. +44 (0)20 8282 7200