[Gllug] whoah

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Oct 30 23:43:13 UTC 2001

will(will at hellacool.co.uk)@Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:20:45PM +0100:
> I am peaking 6427bytes per second through demon to a server in the US using a modem.  Is this normal?  I have never managed more than about 5000.
>
> Wow, I didn't think that was possible.  I am quite shocked.  Their recent routing/network (?) issues have been a pain, but this is impresive.

yep, perfetly normal.
you want to try doing a transfer of a plain text file, and see what kinda CPS you get.  In the past, ( a long time ago... ) i remember getting ~9000 CPS on a plain text file between two USR courier's, flashed todo 33.6.  that was when v.34 was just about available.  suffiec it to say, it was using a hacked US firmware upgrade, with the country code removed.

maybe, your good thruput is becuase you have a decent modem, or just that the wind was blowing in the right diretion, helping push those bits along a little faster... ;-)

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk