[Gllug] gllug tv

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 23:39:25 UTC 2001

I suggest a docu-drama type program along the lines of "Vets in Practice".
Creepy presenter "This week we follow the exploits of some of the
revolutionaries of the computer world the Greater London Linux User Group.
Here we'll meet the computer nerds who know more short cuts than Elton John's
hairdresser, and more online fiddles than Yuhudi Menuhin"

But it's not all plain sailing - here's Richard Cohen having trouble getting
a word in edgeways in his own Lecture. He's trying to show the others how to
use Bash to create a basic web-page - this may come as a shock to Windows
users - he's not even using Frontpage. [Well it certainly enlightened me, and
gets my award for the most useful lecture I have witnessed, me being a
relative novice], although it could be argued that everyone in the lecture
theatre apart from me, and possibly apart from Richard, should share the
award.
Next we go off to the racetrack to find the Lego greyhounds getting ready to
race. It's a two dog race. The M$ standard Lego robot kit against the bespoke
Linux overclocked version owned and trained by Steve C. It's no contest as
the Linux dog zooms round the course. Fortunately we can see the inevitable
Windows dog crash in slow motion from the highly desirable Lego webcam Steve
has attached to his dog's tail. Who says it has to be on the Lego Police
Station roof?
Next we go undercover for a bit of hacking/cracking with Dean Wilson and Paul
Nasrat as they enter unfamiliar territory trying to find security weaknesses
in the servers located in the Caribbean. But it's all above board because the
servers are just being tested and it is the owners that are paying,
Unfortunately not for them to go to the Caribbean -they are still inside the
M25. However to make them feel like they are in the Caribbean Tushar's
organized a barbecue.
Next we join Gerry Springer, Bruce Richardson and a Frontpage loving
librarian for a debate about the merits of an all Microsoft based computer
network. Three three minute rounds.
After all this excitement we join the Saturday afternoon regulars at the Hope
pub to drink and discuss the recent advances in the Linux world. After a few
pints John Hearns leads the troops in a rendition of the Free Software Song
and rounds it off with his own version of that classic Carpenters track Ping
a Pong.
Best wishes to all from Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk