[Gllug] Re: Help Needed Setting up Linux.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 23:43:31 UTC 2001

* Jeanluc128GP at aol.com <Jeanluc128GP at aol.com> [011009 19:31]:
> Hello all,
>
> Complete Linux Newbie here,
>
> How do I set up dial-up networking with AOL.

You don't. AOL uses a proprietary, closed protocol for logons, and it is
not compatible with anything else. You could perhaps use the AOL
software under Wine, but you are better off just getting a decent ISP.

> the modem under Drakconfig seems to think there's a modem on com1 but Windows
> uses my pci modem under com3.  I have a multi boot system with Mandrake 7.1
> and when I try connecting to the net using netscape all I get is that there
> is either no modem or the modem couldn't find a dial tone. I've put in my AOL
> access number, user ID and password.

Many PCI modems are "winmodems". These are not real modems - they are
sound cards attached to a telephone line, for want of a better
description. The job of generating the signal is done by your CPU, and
they need special drivers to make this work. They are best avoided, but
some of the chipsets do have linux drivers available - check
http://www.linmodems.org for info.

HTH,

Mike.

P.S. Looking at Slashfot, someone has reverse engineered AOL. Ha. Maybe
someone will bother to write a Linux client after all.....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk