[Gllug] AGP 4x

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 23:34:29 UTC 2001

* Jarvis, Richie <RJarvis at SignalSoftCorp.com> [011009 12:18]:
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 19:51:24 +0000
> Sorry Mike - got my 1x, 2x and 4x mixed up - the original G400 was labelled
> as 1x, 2x and 4x compatible - however when they released it 4x motherboards
> were not available.  If you check the matrox forums way back when they came
> out, you will see that it can sustain up to 2x AGP bus speeds, but not 4x
> (but will work in a mobo supporting the 4x interface if the specs didn't
> change in the meantime, which I believe they didn't)  It cannot run at 4x -
> ever.

Interesting - I'd read that it was 4x comptible, and hadn't realised
that it didn't actually *do* 4x transactions... Though I do remember
that 2x motherboards were as fast as you could go when I got mine, which
was some time after the G400 was released.

> Apologies for getting my terminilogy in a twist.

Forgiven :-).

> Apologies also for this wonderful Lookout crap that keeps putting HTML mail
> at the bottom of my posts even when I have specified plain text mail (how do
> i stop this???)

At the risk of being facetious, deleting Outlook has always worked for
me ;-P.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk