[Gllug] Re: [OxLUG] M$ Word/Excel security

Matthew Kirkwood matthew at hairy.beasts.org
Mon Oct 1 16:49:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Alain Williams wrote:

> I have some M$ Word docs & Excel spreadsheets to which the password
> has been forgotten. I remember reading something a year or two ago
> that these could be easily broken into.
>
> Can anybody give me a pointer.

Anyone able to use Google can.

http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+excel+word+password+lost+forgotten

There's even a tool from our friend Dmitry:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/prs.html

Having helped you, I feel like I'm not wasting a mail in
saying:

<rant>
Just *how* lazy do you have to be to ask about a Windows
problem for which the solution is a simple web search
away.

Any netiquette guide will explain in painful detail why
it is rude to ask a question without making the slightest
effort to find a solution for yourself.
</rant>

Matthew.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk