[Gllug] Scanner problem

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 17 07:27:47 UTC 2001

>I have successfully hooked up my old Epson GT5000 scsi scanner under RedHat
>7.1 but can only manage to run it as root.  When I try xsane as a user it
>comes up with a 'no devices detected' error message.

It's the permissions on your generic SCSI devices, /dev/sg*. You need
read and write access to whichever one your scanner is attached to.
Rather than open them up completely, I created a scanner group, and
gave that group read/write access, and made xscanimage setgid scanner.

Tet

PS. Excellent choice of scanner. I've got the same one, and have been
    absolutely stunned by it, both in terms of scanning speed, and in
    image quality when compared to its rivals. And yes, IMHO it really
    is worth spending the extra to get a SCSI scanner...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk