[Gllug] Re: [OT] Google 403 Forbbiden

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Wed Oct 17 02:31:27 UTC 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Walid wrote:

> Well BlueYonder help page says I am :
>
> "All Broadband(cable modem) and Dial Up users are transparently cached. This
> means that you do not need to enter any cache settings into your browser"
> Transparent proxies are hard to bypass!

Cable London (as was) used to be very good.  Now they are doing cheap
tricks like this.  What I want is a real Internet connection, a bona-fida
TCP/IP link between A (me) and B (www.kiddiepron.com or whatever their
logs show up).  Transparent caching is intrusive, and at least in my mind
associated with lots of errors.  It won't be long before some ISP has a
"licence agreement" to only allow through IE HTTP headers - for
compatibility/support/maximum customer satisfaction reasons.  Its part of
the trend separating the Internet into a useful end with leased lines,
and a "consumer" end with NAT/PAT and over-cached ports 80 and 443 only,
and an IP address changing every couple of hours.

Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk